Learning can be made more personal by embedding a Clip in your text which displays the learner's name back to them, allowing you to address them directly.
There are several ways you can do this. The first is to use a Text input Clip so you can collect the information from the learner directly (i.e. ask them their name) and then using an Inputted text Clip to display this name back to the learner somewhere else later in the course. This works in both SCORM for LMS releases and Online Link Releases.
You can also use the Learner name Clip to pull the learner's name from their SCORM ID if they're taking the course in an LMS. This method means that learners will not need to input their name manually.
Using Text input and Inputted text Clips
Your learner will be prompted to provide their name by the Text input Clip and it will be displayed back to them with the Inputted text Clip. You will need to add a Text Input Clip on one page and an Inputted text Clip on another.
|Note: An Inputted text Clip cannot pull results from a Text input Clip on the same page. The Inputted text Clip and the Text input Clip that it's pulling its results from must be on different pages.|
Adding a Text input Clip to a page
1. First go to the page in your course where intend to capture the name of the learner.
2. Create or use an existing text box on the page and click inside it to enable it for editing. This will show the text formatting toolbar. You can read more about the text formatting toolbar in Feature Focus: Working with the text formatting toolbar
3. In the toolbar, select Insert > Clips
4. Then select Text input - single line:
3. Give your clip a Unique ID The ID should be brief, easily identifiable with no spaces or periods:
4. The Clip will be added to the text field. It will look something like this:
5. In the course, the field will appear as an empty text box that the learner can add text to. You can check how this will appear in Preview.
Adding an Inputted text Clip to a page
1. Go to the page where you'd like the learner's name to appear. In a text box, select Insert > Clips > Inputted text.
2. You'll be prompted to add the Unique ID of the Clip you'd like to pull text from. Enter the Unique ID for your previously created Text input Clip in the field:
6. The Unique ID will appear in your text box in Author view like this:
In the course, this will dynamically change to reflect what the learner has typed into the corresponding Text input Clip. You can check how this works in Preview.
Displaying a learner’s name using their SCORM ID
This will pull a learner's name from the LMS they're using to take the course. This means they do not have to input it themselves manually.
|Note: Different LMSs may send different information or push the name in different formats depending on how they work. We can't guarantee that the name will be in the format you prefer. For example, the LMS may only provide the surname of the user or provide the full name in reverse format (surname, name) etc.|
1. Create or use an existing text box on the page and click inside it to enable it for editing. This will show the text formatting toolbar. You can read more about the text formatting toolbar in Feature Focus: Working with the text formatting toolbar.
2. In the text formatting toolbar, select Insert > Clips > Learner name:
3. The Learner name Clip will be added to your text box.
When your learner access the course, their name will be pulled from their SCORM ID and shown in place of the Clip.