Master Courses are re-useable projects. You can base any Project on a Master Course.
Any changes that you then make to a Master Course will automatically go through to all of the linked Projects.
Why is this good? Here are a few scenarios:
- You have several clients who have very similar courses and you want to personalise each course - for instance by adding a logo or inserting someone’s name. By using a Master Course you can make the courses once, and then produce slightly different versions. Now if you make a change to your Master Course, your change will automatically go to each of the linked Projects. If you have sold the same course to many clients, this will save you hours.
- Localisation - if you produce courses in multiple languages then you can create a Master Course with the pages and assessments set up, and then create a Project for each language you want to release. For tips on how to create Multi-Lingual E-Learning with Elucidat click here.
To create a Master Course
In order to create a ‘Master Course’ you must first create a ‘Project’ from scratch using the ‘Get Started’ wizard.
Once you have created and opened your ‘Project’ click the ‘Configure’ tab.
Now click the orange ‘Convert’ button on the right of the screen.
Re-name your Master Course title and then press ‘Save’, your Master Course will now be created.
Now you will be able to base new projects on your Master Course by selecting ‘Start from one of your Master Courses’ in the ‘Get Started’ wizard.
To convert a Project into a Master Course press the ‘Configure’ button:
Press the orange ‘Convert’ button
Name your Master Course.
Press ‘Save changes’.
Your Master Course will now be selectable on the ‘Get started’ page under the section that says ‘Start from one of your Master Courses’:
Some things to note
- You cannot ‘release’ Master Courses. If you want to release a Master Course, you must make a Project from it.
- Master Courses count towards your Projects allowance.
- You cannot set SCORM or navigation options on Master Courses - that is all done in the Projects.
- Any change in a text area in a Master Course will update in all linked Projects (unless you have made a specific change to the Projects).
- If you add a ‘Resource’ to a Master course’ it will be viewable in all Projects based off that Master course. If you are creating Projects based of a Master course that are in different languages it is best to add your Resources to these Projects individually so that you can cater for different language.
- The order of pages in a Project based on a Master course can not be changed.