Next or Previous page buttons are added by default to the footer of course templates because they provide a clear way for users to navigate through the course. If they’ve been removed from a course and you would like to add them back in again, or if you’d like to add them to the header instead, follow the steps below.
1. Open any page in the course where you wish to add a Next or Previous page button.
2. In Layout, click the grayed-out header section:
3. You will be asked to confirm if you want to edit the main navigation. Click the Switch to editing the Main Navigation button:
4. Select the Add here button at the location where you would like to add the Next or Previous page buttons in the header:
5. Select the Next or Previous page button:
6. Once both are added, these buttons will now be added to the header section and be accessible to your user throughout the course:
|Note: If there is no previous or next page, then the buttons will appear grayed out in Author and won’t be visible in Preview or a release. For example, the Previous page button won’t be visible on the first page of the course as there are no pages for it to link to. If the previous/next page isn’t currently usable due to the rules set on the page then the buttons will appear grayed out.
7. By default, the Next page buttons link will be set to Next page (automatic) and the Previous page buttons link will be set to Previous page (automatic).
If there are individual pages where you would like to change the behaviour of the Next and Previous page buttons – such as have them link to different pages or to delete them from the page – then you can do so in Author. Changes made to the buttons in Author will only be made to the buttons on that specific page.