Text input clips are designed to enable you to output text entered by a learner further on in the course, without doing any coding yourself. Text input clips can consist of either a single or multiple line response and are a great tool for courses where self reflection is important. After the course has been released, the responses can be collected in the Your Data section on the Analyse page.
Inserting a text input clip
1. In Author view, select the area in a text box where you would like to add a text input Clip:
2. Select the Insert dropdown menu from the text toolbar:
3. Select the Clips option:
4. Select either the Text input - single line or Text input - multiple line option:
5. In the page alert at the top of the screen, enter a unique ID for this text input and click the OK button:
6. The text input clip is now added to the course:
7. In Preview, the clip will appear as an editable text field.
|Note: The unique ID will be used when you want to display the learner's inputted response later on in the course. It’s a good idea to use something that makes sense to you in context, such as 'how_feeling_response' or 'firstname_entry' – especially if you’re planning on using multiple clips.|
Displaying the inputted text
1. In Author view, select the area in a text box where you would like to display the response from a text input clip.
2. Select the Insert dropdown menu from the text toolbar.
3. Select the Clips option.
4. Select the Inputted text option:
5. In the page alert at the top of the screen, enter the unique ID you gave to the text input clip whose input you would like to display and click the OK button:
6. The inputted text clip is then added to the course:
7. In Preview, the inputted text is displayed:
Collecting responses in Your Data
Once the course has been released, the responses can be collected by accessing the Your Data tab on the Analyse page. These learner responses are displayed next to the unique ID given to the text input clip.
|Note: Text input clips do not report to an LMS, these fields are intended for self reflection or for use with the Your Data feature.|